TheTheTheTheTheThe National Guard Association of Maryland (NGAM) is a non-profit organization designed to serve as an advocate for the Maryland National Guard. It represents the interests of the Maryland National Guard, Army and Air.
Our activities are directed toward policy and awareness that impact readiness and sustainment. We work to gain visibility at both the state and national level, which is essential to representing our needs and interests.
The continuing struggle to keep a well equipped, well-trained and adequately manned Maryland National Guard is dependent not only upon what happens in Washington, but also on the General Assembly action in Annapolis. New armory construction, adequate state employee manning, incentives for National Guard personnel, and other benefits are in whole, or in part state supported and must be sought in the same manner as the more visible efforts of the U.S. Congress. Part of our congressional effort is dependent upon our support by the state legislature; each political body watches the other for trends and priorities.
The NGAM organization adheres to the following PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES, GOVERNANCE, and PERSPECTIVE guidelines:
PURPOSEs AND OBJECTIVESs
The National Guard Association of Maryland (NGAM) shall promote the national security of the United States of America: To that end the Association shall:
- Promote and support State and National security under the provisions of the constitution of the United States of America
- Foster and improve the Army and Air National Guard of the State of Maryland and their relations with the public
- Further educational opportunities to support educational, literary and scientific activities of its community
- Promote close association, friendship, professionalism, understanding, and cooperation between all members of the Association
- Preserve and perpetuate the history and traditions of the National Guard of the State of Maryland
- Organize and support State and Federal Legislation for the benefit of all members of the Maryland National Guard
- Provide low cost term insurance program to all members/families of the National Guard
- Encourage membership in the Army and Air National Guard
The association is governed by an executive council consisting of President, Vice-President (Army), Vice-President (Air), Secretary, Treasurer, Immediate Past President, officers from various units in the state who represent the general membership, Company Grade and Retired Representatives. Delegates attending the associations annual business meeting elect the council officers to their two-year terms of office.
The annual meeting is held to discuss the priorities of the association and hear the various committee reports and formulate association policy though the adoption of conference resolutions.
The importance of the Army and Air National Guard with regard to the Total Force and National Security will continue to increase during the 21st Century. The continued efforts by Congress to balance the budget deficit will require cost efficient use of the military, resulting in an increased demand on National Guard components.
Many persons are not aware of NGAM or the role of the Maryland Army and Air National Guard. Because of the multifaceted role of the National Guard, there is a large cross section of our society that must be targeted as an audience of awareness in our continuing efforts to meet that demand and responsibilities assigned. This audience includes:
- Local, State and National Elected Officials
- National Guard Employers
- National Guard Members and Their Families
- General Public at Large
NGAM must undertake an active role in dealing with issues/problems as it relates to meeting the demands of the Total Force concept.
To effectively carry out its mission NGAM must continue to enhance its association program. That begins with you.